The Savoy Hotel has said it is ‘shocked and appalled’ after a security guard was filmed attacking a homeless man.
The smartly-dressed bouncer unleashed a horrific attack that lasted almost 20 seconds as colleagues and other witnesses looked on at the front doors of the five-star, £2,500-a-night hotel.
Footage shows the bald man smashing the rough sleeper in the face before throwing him to the floor and hitting him with a flurry of punches as he lay curled in the foetal position on the floor.
The man isn’t fighting back and appears dazed or even unconscious as the suited guard kicks him in the face, seemingly taunts him and stamps on his head with both feet.
A spokesperson from the hotel said: “Yesterday we became aware of this utterly deplorable incident and immediately launched a comprehensive investigation.
“To date we have found that the report at the time of the incident neglected any detail of the seriousness of what happened. We have reported the incident to the police.
“The individual concerned is no longer associated with the hotel in any way.
“We are shocked and appalled by his actions and apologise to the individual and the public for what occurred.”
In the video, a doorman – wearing a top hat and tails – approaches with his arm extended in a plea for the guard to stop the brutal attack following the first kick.
But the doorman recoils and turns away in horror as the guard holds onto a planter with both hands and jumps on top of the prone victim’s head.
The guard then attempts to drag the victim to his feet as colleagues and a witness – a man walking two dogs – approach and urge him to stop outside the entrance which is covered in Christmas decorations.
Expensive cars are parked nearby.
The guard gestures with his arms and then stands over the man – wearing a winter jacket with florescent yellow stripes, jeans and a woolly hat – as the clip ends.
The brutal scene unfolded in front of the Fairmont-owned luxury hotel’s front doors on December 30 last year, as reported.
But the video only emerged on Friday, eight months after the attack.
The reason for the attack was unclear.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: “Police were called at approximately 21:01hrs on Sunday, 30 December 2018 to the Savoy hotel on the Strand following reports of a man being assaulted.
“Officers attended. All parties were spoken to. The victim, a male, did not wish to make any allegations and declined media treatment and left the area.